Cantonment is situated on the bank of Hooghly River has the
distinction of being the oldest in the country, indeed the sub
continent, and came into being in 1772 and remained the symbolic
seat of military power until the capital of British India was
shifted from Kolkata to New Delhi.
Cantonment has a rich legacy of events pertaining to the Sepoy
Mutiny of 1824 A.D. and first war of Indian Independence
ramifications were felt in the entire British Raj. The Sepoys of
47th Native Infantry rebelled against the orders of the English
officers to move to Chittagong and to Rangoon under the leadership
of Sepoy Bindi Tiwaree.
They fought valiantly against the might of Britishers. The Bindi Baba Temple still stands on the site of
hanging of Bindi Tiwaree on Race Course station road. This mutiny
sowed the seeds of another mutiny that shaped into the first at of
Independence of 1857 and the heroics of Mangal Pandey find a
prominent place in folklore. Sepoy Mangal Pandey was hanged in the
parade ground on 8th April, 1857 as a verdict of the Court Martial.
Britishers fondly called Barrackpore Cantonment. As
and the Cantonment authority was established in
1775 and worked very
efficiently for improving the Cantonment and as the first of its
kind in the country. The Cantonment was divided in to four zones
namely Bungalow zones, Military barracks and parade ground, Sadar
Bazar and Orderly Bazar. The Cantonment authority has replaced by
the Cantonment. Board, which functions from
77, S. N. Banerjee Road
with a revised Constitution and strives for the maintenance and
betterment of the Cantonment.
of many buildings and assets developed by the Cantonment authority
the following are still within the Cantonment while rest presently
are in Municipal area.
Staff House: Built during 1863-65, the Flag Staff House is
located near vice regal House.
Lodge: This was a free Masonic lodge established in 1870 as
Lodge and thereafter became the Masonic Lodge in 1953 and still
functions though in a dilapidated state.
Cathedral: This Cathedral stands majestically on the cross
road of Governor's house and built to cater for the men in
uniform and English bigwigs.
Temple: The Kali Temple is located in RCTC area next to a
large pond and is over 700 years old. It is said that troops
worshiped here regularly
and gathered here for secret puja prior to the 1857 mutiny. The
Indian wife of Job Charnak, founder of Calcutta is also said to
have worshiped at this temple.
Ghat: This ghat was constructed by the East India Company
for the use of Governor General, his Guests and other top bosses
of the John L Company. The Cantonment Board has developed Mangal
Pandey Park near this ghat.
Ghat: This ghat as established in the area around the
existing dhobi shelter where local dhobis are washing the
cloths. Presently the people to ferry across to Serampore use
Smarak Sangrahalaya: Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalay as
established in Bungalow No.14, River side Road by the State
Govt. on the memory of Mahatma Gandhi, Father of the Nation.
Pandey Park: The park is situated adjacent to the Nishan
ghat and place of public recreation.